News of Libya ‘slave market’ stirs controversy
News of black men being put on sale at a Libyan “slave market” has drawn outrage from the African Union (AU) and triggered violent protests in Paris.
Guinean President Alpha Conde, who is also the chairman of the AU, demanded on Friday that the “despicable trade” be stopped, the slaves be set free, and the perpetrators be put on trial.
The outrage was sparked by a CNN report showing footage of a live auction in Libya where black youths were being sold for hundreds of dollars to buyers as farmhands.
“These modern slavery practices must end, and the African Union will use all the tools at its disposal,” Conde said.
The black youths on sale in Libya are generally African asylum seekers from nations such as Guinea, Senegal, the Gambia, Mali, Nigeria, and Niger. Media reports say many of the asylum seekers end up in the wrong places and lose their freedom to gangs that are either led or are in cahoots with human traffickers.
The asylum seekers-turned-slaves had sought to cross through the country and travel over the Mediterranean Sea to Europe, where they sought to ultimately settle.
Libya has opened an investigation into the slavery report, saying it would free the slaves, according to the CNN.
“A high-level committee has been convened encompassing representatives from all the security apparatus to oversee this investigation,” said Anes Alazabi, an official with the internationally-recognized government of Libya’s Anti-Illegal Immigration Agency.
“Priorities of the investigation are not only to convict those responsible for these inhumane acts, but also to identify the location of those who have been sold in order to bring them to safety and return them to their countries of origin,” said the Libyan official.
Libya has been in a state of near chaos since 2011, when its long-time dictator, Muammar Gaddafi, was ousted, and rival militia groups and factions started vying for power and territory.
Protest in Paris
In related news, protesters carrying signs reading “No to slavery in Libya,” gathered in front of the Libyan Embassy in Paris on Saturday to protest the practice of slavery.
The protesters, chanting “Free our brothers,” then marched toward the Champs-Elysees, where they were cut off by riot police.
Clashes broke out as security forces moved to disperse the protesters, firing tear gas into the crowd. Police said the protest was unauthorized. One person was arrested.
The city of Chicago has agreed to pay $20 million to settle a code-of-silence lawsuit brought by the families of two young men killed in a fiery drunken driving crash caused by an off-duty police detective, sources told the Chicago Tribune.
The agreement to pay $10 million each to relatives of Andrew Cazares and Fausto Manzera was reached in dramatic fashion earlier this month after it was revealed that key documents involving an alcohol-fueled bar fight in detective Joseph Frugoli’s past had been improperly withheld.
The amount of the agreement was not made public, but sources have since confirmed the figure to the Tribune. The settlement must still be green-lighted by the city’s Finance Committee before going to the full City Council for a vote. That could happen as soon as next month.
If approved, it would mark yet another massive payout for the city in a police misconduct suit. In the past two months alone, nearly $100 million in judgments have been assessed against the city for police-related cases, including a record $44.7 million jury verdict in October for a man who was shot by his childhood friend, Officer Patrick Kelly, in an off-duty incident. Earlier this month, the City Council approved a $31 million payout for the “Englewood Four,” who each spent some 15 years in prison for a 1994 rape and murder before DNA linked the crime to a convicted killer.
So KiK changed their format to an AOL chat room type vibe. You can create rooms and also search for rooms based on your particular interests.
Would you frequent an IC chat room if one were created?
KiK is a mobIle only app, and you have to create an account.
Before u crybabys n white knights come in here this a players ball...its natural for men to be with alot of women
I got one bitch thats caked up...house car etc....but i want another side piece...i been using snapchat n other text apps...phone locks
The tech industry has a gender diversity problem. A 19-year-old from Washington D.C. is pushing back with a new book. Sasha Ariel Alston began writing “Sasha Savvy Loves to Code,” a semi-autobiographical story about a 10 year-old African American girl and her friends attending an all-girls coding camp. Her goal was to inspire young girls to pursue science, technology, engineering, and math, while teaching some programming basics as well.
When Alston completed the book as a sophomore at Pace University’s Lubin School of Business, she brought it to Kickstarter in an effort to raise $5,000 for “final production, printing, and distribution costs.” There, the book found a wildly receptive audience: “Sasha Savvy Loves to Code” reached its $5,000 goal in four days, and raised $17,602 by the end of the campaign. Alston is still talking with publishers and there is no release date just yet.
What we gain when we support girls in math and science
Even though the book garnered overwhelming support online, while writing, Alston kept it a secret from her friends. Alston considers herself a nerd, but the stigma surrounding coding makes her uncomfortable. “My friends knew that I was interested in coding and they would call me a nerd. They would say a lot of mean stuff,” she said. “My friends didn’t know about the book until I announced it because I didn’t want them to know or say anything about it.”
Part of the problem is a self-sustaining cycle. According to portrayals in popular media, Alston said, “you have to be a white male or boy, and have glasses.” These stereotypes, in turn, can drive girls away from STEM, making the tech industry even more homogenous.
Alston hopes to remedy this trend, at least in part, with her new book.
Alston first became interested in coding in the 11th grade, with an internship at Microsoft. The experience exposed her to a wider range of applications of coding that weren’t being taught in the classroom. It also exposed her to the realities of diversity and representation in tech.
“With all of my internships, I noticed that I was either the only girl or only African American,” Alston said. “My school was mostly African American so I didn’t really know how to interact with anybody else. … Going into the spaces at the beginning felt very challenging and difficult to me.”
Alston was inspired to write the book by an important woman in her life—her mom, or as she calls her on Kickstarter, her “MOManager.”
During a radio interview during her senior year of high school, Alston was asked to explain coding. Her mother Tracy Chiles McGhee, an author herself, thought Alston’s answer was particularly clear, and urged her daughter to write a children’s book. Since then, McGhee has acted as Sasha’s project manager: the two brainstorm together, and despite a nine-to-five job, McGhee helped organize the book-writing process, managing spreadsheets which tracked everything from agents to deadlines.
Other women were also instrumental to the process. A librarian, a school teacher, and two other writers—all mothers—gave their feedback and helped edit the book. “They were able to say ‘my child would probably do this, or my student would probably do that’,” Alston said. Feedback from parents was especially useful, given that Alston learned programming as a teenager and wasn’t sure which ideas younger readers might have trouble with.
The tech industry can be isolating, Alston said, “Even with me in [tech], I still don’t feel necessarily comfortable, because I don’t really think I have anybody that I can truly relate to.” In this sense, Alston and her book are models for the next generation of girls, showing that they can be interested in tech without stigma, that they too can love to code.
since this is all over...make ur final IC confessions whether its aliases, instigating, hacking, posters you smashed and etc...
It's been 29 hours for me now, this is the longest I have maybe ever gone excluding times of illness, I wanted to see how long I could go without doing it as a test of self control, I really have my mind set on this I usually do it twice maybe even 3 times a day so this is not gonna be easy, it's been pretty easy today I have kept myself busy so no real cravings as of yet, if I can manage to last a week that would be a big achievement for me, so I made this thread to document my experience and also to see what advice I can get to help me, has anybody on here got any good tips or done anything like this before? I also wanna hear from the people who never wack off (if we have any on here) then what do you think the benefits are to living a wank free life?
The Explosive New Sexual Harassment Allegations Against Bill O’Reilly, Detailed
Roger Ailes is out at Fox News but the troubles for the network might just be getting started.
In a new lawsuit filed in New York State Supreme Court on Monday, former Fox News host Andrea Tantaros alleges she was among a number of women sexually harassed by, yes, former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes.
But she also alleges she was sexually harassed by the network’s biggest star, Bill O’Reilly. The suit alleges that O’Reilly attempted to lure her to Long Island where he told her it would be “very private” and that she could show him her “wild side.”
[C]ommencing in February 2016, Bill O’Reilly (“O’Reilly”), whom Tantaros had considered to be a good friend and a person from whom she sought career guidance, started sexually harassing her by, inter alia, (a) asking her to come to stay with him on Long Island where it would be “very private,” and (b) telling her on more than one occasion that he could “see [her] as a wild girl,” and that he believed that she had a “wild side.” Fox News did take one action: plainly because of O’Reilly’s rumored prior sexual harassment issues and in recognition of Tantaros’s complaints, Brandi informed Cane that Tantaros would no longer be appearing on O’Reilly’s Fox News show, The O’Reilly Factor.
This isn’t the first time O’Reilly has been accused of sexual harassment. In 2004, he was sued by Fox producer Andrea Mackris who alleged he “repeatedly subjected her to sexual harassment through dinner and phone conversations variously described as lewd, lascivious, vile and threatening.” The allegations included O’Reilly trying to lure Mackris to his hotel room.
The lawsuit alleges that Tantaros was ultimately removed from the air in retaliation for her complaints to Shine and others. Fox News later offered to continue to pay her through the length of her contract if she provided general legal releases to Ailes, O’Reilly, and others. The release would have also prevented her from discussing her time at Fox News in perpetuity.
Keri Claussen Khalighi was a 17-year-old fashion model from a farka when she met Brett Ratner and Russell Simmons at a casting call.
Ratner was an up-and-coming music video director and a protege of Simmons, the Def Jam Recordings mogul. They took Khalighi to dinner one night in 1991 at Mr. Chow in New York, and then back to Simmons’ apartment to show her a music video they’d been working on.
Quickly, Simmons began making aggressive sexual advances, yanking off her clothes, Khalighi said.
“I looked over at Brett and said ‘help me’ and I'll never forget the look on his face,” she recalled. “In that moment, the realization fell on me that they were in it together.”
Khalighi said that Simmons, who was then about twice her age, tried to force her to have intercourse. “I fought it wildly,” she said. He eventually relented and coerced her to perform oral sex, she alleged. “I guess I just acquiesced.”
Ratner, meanwhile, “just sat there and watched,” she said.
Feeling “disgusting,” Khalighi said she went to take a shower. Minutes later, she alleged, Simmons walked up behind her in the shower and briefly penetrated her without her consent. She said she jerked away, then he left. “It hurt so much.”
Don’t get caught up in the hype that LaVar Ball and Big Baller Brand have racked up millions of dollars in sales of Lonzo Ball’s signature shoe. Even at $495 each.
The sneakerheads at Nice Kicks did some legwork to refute the rumors that Ball’s ZO2 Prime had sold 5,000 pairs in as little as four hours after its initial release. Like most internet rumors, that turned out to be bunk. Matt Halfhill over at Nice Kicks explained in a post how they figured out the number is much, much lower.
Basically, Halfhill ordered a pair a few hours before Chad Johnson ordered a pair and posted his confirmation email on social media. By Halfhill’s count, just 34 total transactions on the entire Big Baller Brand site had occured between those two orders, and that could have been for shirts, hats, and anything else there that isn’t a pair of very expensive shoes.
When another Nice Kicks staffer ordered a pair of shorts the next day, the transaction number simply didn’t account for thousands of shoe orders—there were just 328 individual purchases.
Out of the 328 transactions that happened on BigBallerBrand.com in the first 24 hours that the shoes were offered for sale, we tracked that a total of just 263 pairs of sneakers had sold in both signed and unsigned versions of the ZO2 Prime.
While we have no access to sales receipts, transactions or traffic data, we have been monitoring the inventory levels of the footwear listed on BigBallerBrand.com. After noting the initial product levels at the start and deducting the current units sold, we can confidently say that 210 pairs of unsigned ZO2 Primes had sold (103 pairs in size 8.5 alone), along with 53 autographed ZO2 Primes.
While it’s tough to confirm anything here from a secondary source and incredibly unlikely the Balls are going to talk down rumors of big sales, the logic used by Nice Kicks here makes sense. And then there’s the big sales numbers that don’t match the actual sales thus far.
Not accounting for shipping or sales tax (that doesn’t appear to be properly applied to transactions anyways), the total revenue for footwear in the first 24 hours was $157,685, based on the numbers sold for signed, unsigned, and the larger sizes that are priced at an extra $200.
While $157,685 is an incredible amount of sales in one day, it is far from the $2.5 million that numerous outlets have reported today online.
It’s an interesting look at the reality of the shoe business, an industry the Balls are now going it alone in. Though opting not to sign with a major shoe company is clearly not a decision to take lightly, the Balls seemed forced to do so. Talks with Nike blew up and the pursuit of growing Big Baller Brand as a whole was sidetracked by talk of top tier price points. LaVar Ball wanted to package his three sons into a single billion-dollar shoe contract, and the companies that dominate the industry wanted nothing to do with it.
While the initial release on Thursday created a huge amount of Internet buzz—both good and bad—it didn’t immediately translate into massive sales. Like Stephon Marbury warned, it’s very difficult to grow a brand on your own. It’s easy to LaVar Ball to get people talking about him, his sons and their very expensive shoes, but actually convincing people to buy them takes a lot more than calling them “premium” and walking away.
So I get this text from my landlord yesterday, she cool so she gave me a heads up....at first thought, what exactly is gonna happen next?
Im NOT at all worried, just want to know what to expect...